Solar + Energy Analysis
Start a BIM workflow by evaluating the performance of elements from the beginning of the design process.
Analyze your building model for energy efficiency early in the design process.
- Analyze early-stage design models with Green Building Studio's analysis engine
- Connect to a dashboard view of the analysis results to compare options for your design
- Adjust the Energy Analysis factor widgets, such as Window to Wall Ratio, Building Orientation, and others
- Summarize your building's energy impact with a single number calculated as a bottom-line cost per area
- Save your Energy Analysis results for future review with clients and other stakeholders
- FormIt 2021 also generally improves reliability of the FormIt + Insight connection, addressing many known failures and improving run success rates.
- Insight Energy Analysis uploads your FormIt model data, and runs several hundred analyses in the cloud to determine various energy scores
- Insight will use any visible geometry in your FormIt sketch
- Insight works best with a simple, solid building model
- If your building design already has openings for windows and doors, it's best to create a new mass with no openings specifically for Energy Analysis, and hide the more detailed version using Layers
- Look for the Energy Analysis button in the toolbar
- Click "Generate Insight" to start the process
- This will upload the visible model data, and will run several hundred simulations in the cloud
- When complete, a message will appear at the top of the screen, and the menu will update to indicate a new Insight is ready to view
- "Insight project could not be created. Please try again later."
- To see if Green Building Studio successfully executed Energy Analysis runs for this project, take a look at the Green Building Studio dashboard
- FormIt Web provides additional details when Energy Analysis fails:
- Specify relevant faces to be analyzed for solar impact
- Visualize results in seconds within the app canvas
- Hover your mouse over an input point to see specific calculated values of solar impact
- Choose to view results as a monthly glazing study, or as a yearly solar panel feasibility study